Police chase from Urunga to Wardell before driver in custody

1.00pm: A MAN who stole a pizza delivery vehicle on Tuesday night led police on a number of high-speed pursuits between Urunga and Wardell on Wednesday morning.

A Ford Falcon was reported as stolen from Sandy Beach and the vehicle passed a Coffs Harbour highway patrol vehicle at Korora, travelling in excess of the posted 80kmh speed limit.

Police have pulled in behind the Ford and it slowed and almost stopped before taking off south towards Coffs Harbour.

A police pursuit was initiated at 7.48pm.

The Ford travelled south over the Big Banana hill and into the 60kmh area.

As it passed Park Beach Plaza it reached excessive speeds.

The vehicle has then allegedly proceeded through a red traffic light. Police then terminated this pursuit.

Police saw the vehicle north of Coffs Harbour again travelling at excessive speeds.

The Ford has allegedly turned right into Orlando St through a red traffic light.

Police have caught up to the vehicle as it approached the Jetty area and the pursuit recommenced at 7:56pm.

The vehicle was followed into the Coffs Harbour Yacht Club car park where it was driven at the police vehicle and mounted a gutter.

The vehicle continued back onto Orlando St, again at excessive speeds, police said. 

When the vehicle entered a shopping centre car park on Park Beach Rd the pursuit was again terminated. 

A short time later police received information the stolen vehicle was heading towards Toormina.

While patrolling Toormina Rd, police spoke to a driver of a vehicle and other wintesses where it is alleged that the vehicle collided with another car.

Around 6am on Wednesday its alleged the vehicle was seen by police at Urunga and when approached, the 'driver fled.

The vehicle was then sighted between Urunga and Coffs Harbour travelling at excessive speeds.

The vehicle was again sighted by police on the Pacific Hwy at Moonee Beach and another pursuit was initiated by Coffs Harbour-based highway patrol officers.

The pursuit was terminated at Emerald Beach due to safety concerns.

The vehicle was again sighted by another highway patrol vehicle at Sandy Beach and a further pursuit was initiated, which was terminated at Woolgoolga due to safety concerns.

The vehicle was again sighted by a Grafton highway patrol vehicle on the Pacific Hwy at Glenugie and another pursuit was commenced, but was terminated by police at South Grafton.

Reports of the vehicle were continually received to indicate that the car continued north to Townsend.

The vehicle was allegedly abandoned at a premises on Stringy Bark Cl and it's alleged the man then stole a Toyota Landcruiser. 

Highway patrol vehicles from Ballina then sighted the Toyota Landcruiser travelling north on the Pacific Hwy and a pursuit was commenced.

About 9.40am, police successfully deployed road spikes on the vehicle at Pimlico, south of Ballina, where the vehicle eventually stopped in a nearby property.

The man, who wasn't carrying any formal identification, was arrested at the scene without further incident, police said.

 He was then taken to hospital for mandatory blood and urine testing, before being taken to Ballina Police Station.


11.30am: THE man alleged to have stolen two vehicles and been involved in a high speed pursuit that lasted for almost 200km is set to appear in a Ballina court this afternoon.

The use of road spikes, north of Wardell, brought about the end to the pursuit.

After being involved in several short pursuits, police successfully deployed road spikes which punctured a tyre on a white four-wheel-drive.

The four-wheel-drive continued north along the highway before turning into Whites Ln, with police still in pursuit.

After following the vehicle along a gravel cane road and a dirt road, police caught up with the driver when he stopped at a residence in Sartories Ln.

The man was arrested and is assisting police with their enquiries.

Police will be making a statement to the media regarding the incident this afternoon.


9.45am: The driver involved in this morning's police chase is in police custody.

The man allegedly stole two vehicles, one from Coffs Harbour and one from Townsend.

Full story in tomorrow's Daily Examiner.


9.40am: Police believe the man involved in this morning's pursuit is now travelling in a stolen Landcruiser.

Coffs/Clarence crime manager detective Darren Jameson said the Ballina Highway Patrol were in pursuit of a 1988 white Landcruiser, allegedly stolen from a Townsend address this morning.

Police recovered the black Ford Falcon involved in this morning's pursuit at a commercial property at Townsend around 8am.

The man has been described as being of Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander appearance.


8am: POLICE are searching for a black Ford Falcon believed to have been stolen from Coffs Harbour.

The car was involved in a number of pursuits between Coffs Harbour and Grafton early this morning before police terminated the pursuit due to the danger the driver posed to the public.

Police are now searching a number of areas from Cowper to Maclean, and have asked for assistance from the public to locate the car, a 2012 model Ford Falcon sedan.

If you have seen a vehicle matching the description, phone Grafton Police Station on 6642 0222 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

More to come.