Guerra backs Knights’ chase of Maroons forward
NEWCASTLE veteran Aidan Guerra has endorsed the NRL club's chase of Queensland representative Tim Glasby, saying he would add value to their improving forward pack.
Glasby has been heavily linked to a move from Melbourne after reportedly knocking back a long-term deal to remain with the Storm once his contract expires after this season.
It is believed he has already been given a tour of the facilities at Newcastle, who also lured former Storm teammate Slade Griffin to be their starting hooker this year.
Glasby had only just been appointed part of Melbourne's leadership group earlier this year and his departure would be a key loss to their forward stocks.
"That's a pretty good rap from a club of that stature to have a guy like that in their leadership group," Guerra said.
"I don't know how much truth there is or how close the club is to doing it, but I think for him to be spoken about here at the club means this club's doing a good job in recruitment."
Having made his debut with the Storm in 2013, the 29-year-old was part of the Maroons' side that won the State of Origin last year as well as their run to the premiership.
"For a guy to play representative football and play in premiership sides, he can value add to our already growing pack," Guerra said.
Guerra's comments come after Knights coach Nathan Brown made the bold decision to drop co-captain Jamie Buhrer from his top 17 for Friday's NRL clash with Penrith.
Buhrer has come off the bench to spell Griffin in all eight of his matches this year, but was part of four changes to the side that resulted in a recall for hooker Danny Levi.
"I think he just wanted to bring Danny on to offer a bit more around the nine position," Guerra said.
"Danny's a specialist nine so I think the amount of work that Slade gets through, he could always use a break and hopefully with Danny's experience in that nine position, he'll be able to bring a bit of spark."