Classic Sunshine Coast home destroyed in fierce blaze
A SUNSHINE Coast family has been left to sift through the charred remains of their home after it was destroyed in a fierce fire at Dulong, west of Nambour.
Fire crews could do little to stop the Queenslander from being destroyed by the fire which was reported shortly after 11am yesterday.
Nambour Fire Station officer Jason Evans said a possible electrical fault in a fridge could have sparked the blaze.
"The owner was home but he was not inside at the time," Mr Evans said. "An old Queenslander goes up extremely quickly so he really didn't have time to fight it."
Mr Evans said crews could see smoke billowing from the Thompson Rd home as they pulled out of the Nambour Fire Station.
It was reason for them to call in extra urban crews and four rural firefighting crews to try to ensure they had enough water to do their job.
Flames were reaching five metres above the roof when they arrived.
"Due to the intensity of the fire, I kept crews to the external of the building."
A 100m cordon was set up by police after firefighters flagged concerns the home could have contained asbestos. It took crews about an hour-and-a-half to extinguish the fire.
No one was injured.